Sunday, January 5, 2014

No One to Trust by Lynette Eason – A Book Review

No One to Trust by Lynette Eason – A Book Review

     This was the first book I have read by author Lynette Eason, but I will definitely be reading more. Why, at one particularly tense moment in the story something happened that actually made me jump!  I appreciate being drawn into a story so completely, and I appreciate that jarring type of surprise.  There were several plot twists that I had not seen coming, events that kept me reading on into the night. 

     In No One to Trust, book one of The Hidden Identity series, protagonist Summer Abernathy is thrust into the world of organized crime, specifically that of a mafia family led by a true psychopath.  Repeatedly betrayed by those who should have her best interest at heart, Summer learns to rely on the One who will never betray.  David Hackett struggles with doing the right thing while doing what is necessary to keep himself and his wife alive.  His new found faith is fanned into full flame by the winds of adversity.  While maintaining focus on the internal and external conflicts in the lives of Summer and David, Eason is able to flesh out the moral conflicts in the lives of her secondary characters as well, and is able to do so without interrupting the smooth flow of the story or sounding preachy.  The central themes of No One to Trust appear to be drawn from James 1:2 – 4, persevering through trials to develop spiritual maturity, and Colossians 3:13, forgiving as the Lord forgave you.  Eason successfully weaves valuable Kingdom insights into a suspenseful, action packed story filled with intrigue. 

     This review would not be complete without mention of the antagonist, Alessandro Raimondi, a portrait of pure evil.  This character was not your typical mafia don as portrayed in the movies.  It was easier to identify him with a psychopath become serial killer, possibly due to his obsession with snakes and the way he used them to inflict terror.  Eason’s clearest mental images are drawn around this character, and are the things of which nightmares are made. 

     The book contained a sneak peak at the first chapter of the second book in the Hidden Identity series, Nowhere to Turn.  It would appear Eason’s readers are in for another spine tingling treat, fraught with the pains of broken promises and broken relationships.  It does not reveal, however, whether Eason will take advantage of the opportunity provided in the closing chapter of the first book to bring Summer, David and others forward into other books in the series.  A reader may only hope. 

     I have more of Eason’s works waiting for me on my shelves and on my Kindle among the books I’ve collected anticipating more time to read during my retirement. I look forward to immersing myself in her attention grabbing, fast-paced tales of suspense. 


Thank you to Revell, the publisher, for sending me a copy of No One to Trust for my honest opinion of the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment