Monday, August 5, 2019

Jesus Politics: The Four Gospels in Politics by Tony Franklin - A Book Review

Jesus Politics     


This book fulfills the author's purpose of explaining the political values of Jesus and first century Jews, and demonstrating how today's Christians emulate these same values in the politics of our society. Franklin identifies four groups of Jews in the gospels, outlining the connection between their spiritual and political points of view. He then uses Scripture to show how Jesus interacted with each of those four types, challenging them to a higher standard. In the final chapter of Jesus Politics he draws parallels between the four groups of Jews and four types of Christians in our own time, while challenging us to respond to Jesus's calling to that higher standard.

There was another great take-away for me personally. We all know that God's Word is alive, but I doubt that we ponder how that actually impacts our study. We've all experienced getting a new meaning from a passage as we read it when in the midst of different life circumstances, but as I read this book I was keenly aware of how I was reading well-known Bible stories and viewing them in radically new ways without changing any core values that were previously revealed. The new insights were enlightening and inspiring. God's Word truly felt alive and energizing as I engaged with the familiar from a very unfamiliar view point.

Hearing the author's voice as I read (a writing skill I always worked to instill in the young writers I taught) also served to remind me of the importance of being actively engaged in a Christian community, and, while worshiping and serving together, truly listening to one another and learning from one another. If you are in or wish to join a small group within your Christian community, Jesus Politics would be a great book to initiate discussion as we proceed into the next political cycle.

I am grateful to have received a copy of this book from the author. He had not requested that I write or share a review, but I find it a privilege to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment