Friday, April 21, 2023

The Swiss Nurse by Mario Escobar - A Book Review

  

I learn so much from reading Mario Escobar's books, especially about the history of Spain. The Swiss Nurse begins during a civil war in Spain in the late 1930s and continues into Germany's occupation of France and the United States entering World War II. Hundreds of thousands of Spanish refugees fled into southern France during the civil war creating a severe humanitarian crisis. Elisabeth Eidenbenz, a Swiss teacher, along with members of the Association to Aid Children in War worked diligently to aid as many orphaned children as possible. Elisabeth soon recognized that there was also a great need to assist pregnant women and newborn babies. Her persistence in seeking permission and funding led to Elisabeth's opening the Elne maternity hospital. The Swiss Nurse is the story of Elisabeth Eidenbenz and a couple who benefited from her care and compassion. While Elisabeth is a real character, the couple is fictional.

I really enjoyed reading The Swiss Nurse, but was keenly aware of my emotional response to the story based on the author's writing style employed in crafting this book. While I felt moved and empathetic to the characters' plight, I also felt somewhat removed. It was like the difference between speaking with someone who was involved in a situation vs only hearing about it on the nightly news. While this is not my typical response to war time historical fiction, it did not diminish my enjoyment in reading the story, nor does it make me the least bit hesitant in recommending it to other historical fiction fans. I am grateful to have received a complimentary copy of The Swiss Nurse from Harper Muse via NetGalley without obligation. All opinions expressed here are my own.




No comments:

Post a Comment