Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Cold Pursuit by Nancy Mehl - A Book Review

  

Every time I read a serial killer book, I promise myself that I'll never read another one. Then Nancy Mehl, Lynette Eason, or another similarly gifted author will come out with a book that lures me into breaking that promise. As I read Cold Pursuit I kept asking why I always do this to myself, but when I got to the final chapter and took in the lesson that Mehl so deftly pulled together, I knew why. I do it because Mehl and other Christian authors are not focusing on just the emotions evoked by thriller type books, but on the hope God can offer even within the context of extreme tragedy. Isn't that what we are all called to do, to give a reason for our hope? In this book Mehl focuses on personal responsibility. We are personally responsible for our own choices, not the choices of others, and for seeing to the health of our relationship with God in order that we may give the reason for our hope, and share the love, grace, and mercy or our heavenly Father. The author works through some intense suspense, carefully placed information, tension between characters, and deep emotions to bring this theme to light. She does this very well.

I am grateful to have received a complimentary copy of Cold Pursuit from Bethany House via NetGalley without obligation. All opinions expressed here are my own. 




No comments:

Post a Comment