Thursday, February 1, 2024

What I Promise You by Liz Tolsma - A Book Review

  

This is Liz Tolsma's second book in her Echoes of the Past series. Each of the books works as a stand-alone read with no crossover storylines or characters, but I would highly recommend reading the first book, What I Would Tell You, because it is a wonderful read. What I Promise You is a slower-paced story. At first I was thinking the author could have omitted the middle timeline, but realized at the end of the book how that timeline actually pulled everything together. The earliest timeline, set in the early 1940s, tells the story of Noémie Treves, a secular Jewish woman, following her imprisonment at Camp de Rivesaltes in Vichy France. Noémie loses everything through the Nazi's cruelty, even her identity. Through the work of two Christian women, her life was spared, but would she be able to truly live life again? In the 2022 timeline Caitlyn Laurent struggles to cope with her best friend's death as she tries to live out the goals they had intended to achieve together. While her life was spared in the automobile accident, would she truly live her own life, or was she destined to live the life Lindsey had wanted to live?

The themes of finding and living one's calling, adapting to life's unexpected circumstances, and trusting God's plans for one's future are all explored within these two ladies' stories. While I cannot say this is my favorite Liz Tolsma story, I can say that it is well-researched and well-written, and I recommend it to fans of historical fiction. I am grateful to have received a complimentary copy from Barbour Publishing via NetGalley without obligation. All opinions expressed here are my own.





 


No comments:

Post a Comment