Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Specters in the Glass House by Jaime Jo Wright - A Book Review

  

I have been a Jaime Jo Wright fan since The House on Foster Hill was released in 2017. I have read each of her books released since then, each eerie in its own way. Specters in the Glass House has a mood reminiscent of The House on Foster Hill and The Curse of Misty Wayfair, two of my favorites.

This latest book has dual-timelines. Marian Arnold came to live in the Müllerian Manor near Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1921 after her father's death and bankruptcy, the home in which her mother had died. Remy Crenshaw came to live in the manor in present time having taken a job as research assistant for a famous biographer who wants to write Marian's story. Specters and disembodied voices also populate the manor, a manor where long-ago murders are yet unsolved, and new murders seem likely to occur.

I don't want to spoil the story by revealing the deeper themes, but I assure you that this is no simple ghost story, but rather a tale with weighty matters to ponder. As with each of her books, the reader comes away with a fresh insight or an affirmation of a facet of God's character.

Specters in the Glass House will hold readers captive from the first page to the last. They will find themselves, as I did, repeatedly adjusting their predictions of who the culprit or culprits might be. I am very grateful to have received a complimentary copy of this wonderful book from Bethany House via NetGalley without obligation. All opinions expressed here are my own. 




No comments:

Post a Comment