Tuesday, August 18, 2026

The Christmas Book Flood by Roseanna M. White - A Book Review

  

I have become familiar with the Jólabókaflóđ tradition in Iceland over the last few Christmas seasons. I searched the internet for the correct pronunciation and got a variety of answers, most varied on the sound of the last letter. The first four syllables are consistently presented as yo-la-bok-a, while the last can be found as flot, flod, and floth among other variations. The word translates in English to Christmas (or Yule) Book Flood. Roseanna M. White's novella The Christmas Book Flood uses the story of fictional characters Tatiana Eliasdottir and Anders Johannsson who both work for a publishing company called Sogufelagith, the Story Society, to tell of the birth of this tradition; which I will not spoil for you by explaining it here.

This wonderful novella is a quick read that book lovers of all types are likely to enjoy because of the tradition they will likely want to adopt. Those who enjoy a sweet romance will be especially pleased. The theme of miscommunication and its effect on self-esteem may have each of us examining our own assumptions as well as how our words and actions appear to others. Happy reading and merry Christmas!

I am grateful to have received a complimentary copy of The Christmas Book Flood from Tyndale House Publishers via NetGalley without obligation. All opinions expressed here are my own.




No comments:

Post a Comment