Tuesday, February 2, 2021

The Moonlight School by Suzanne Woods Fisher - A Book Review

   

The Moonlight School is my favorite of all the Suzanne Woods Fisher books that I have read. Since reading Catherine Marshall's Christy, I have loved books set in Appalachia, especially those from the late 1800s to the early 1900s. Having now lived in Kentucky for over forty years, that love has grown. The Moonlight School is set in Rowan County, Kentucky in 1911, and while telling the fictional story of Lucy Wilson, it also tells a somewhat fictionalized account of the true person of Cora Wilson Stewart, the first female superintendent of schools for Rowan County. Stewart worked tirelessly to improve the education of the mountain children, but may best be known for her work in adult literacy. If you read this book, and I hope you do, don't miss all of the end matter that is much like Paul Harvey's The Rest of the Story.

I am grateful to have received a complimentary copy of The Moonlight School from Revell via NetGalley without obligation. All opinions expressed here are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment