Friday, October 8, 2021

A Flicker of Light by Katie Powner - A Book Review

  

Each generation of the Jensen family is facing its own set of challenges in this contemporary fiction novel. Two years after losing his wife to cancer, Mitch Jensen continues to struggle with his grief. His daughter, Beatrice, finds out she is expecting not long after her husband loses his job, and they decide that they will have to temporarily move from Santa Clara, California to Moose Creek, Montana to live with him. His mother has become more and more forgetful, and his once stalwart father more and more worried about her. The family faces these significant challenges, not to mention all of the cares and concerns that come to pass in the day to day of life. Through it all the Jensen's learn more about themselves and the importance of family and community, and readers learn right along with them.

At first I didn't think this book was going to be my cup of tea, mainly because I typically avoid books where cancer is a pat of the story. I was glad that I continued to read on though because this book did take hold of me, especially Mitch's mother's story. I found the characters to be realistic, the emotions raw, and the dialogue authentic. I am grateful to have received a complimentary copy of A Flicker of Light from Bethany House via NetGalley without obligation. All opinions expressed here are my own.




No comments:

Post a Comment