Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Every Word Unsaid by Kimberly Duffy - A Book Review

   

It took me longer than is usual for me to read this book because it is meant to be savored. Mostly set in India, as are Duffy's two previous books, readers are immersed not only in the country's exotic beauty, delicious smells, and savory cuisine, but also in the poverty and disease. During the late 19th century, Gussie Travers travels to India to escape her family's expectations and censure. Driven by the echos of their voices, she sets out to prove her worth, only to discover that she is more valued and has a deeper purpose in life than even she could have imagined.

Duffy is a master of character development. It is unlikely that readers will be unable to find a character in this book within whom they could closely relate. They may even relate to more than one on different levels.

I do usually enjoy epilogues, discovering what happened down the road so to speak. In this case, I wish I had stopped reading with the final chapter and skipped over the epilogue as the writing of it felt out of sync with the body of the story. This however did not keep me from giving this book five stars.

I am grateful to have received a complimentary copy of Every Word Unsaid from Bethany House via NetGalley without obligation. All opinions expressed here are my own. 




No comments:

Post a Comment