Thursday, December 9, 2021

Shadows of Swanford Abbey by Julie Klassen - A Book Review

   

I was really enjoying the first third of Julie Klassen's latest piece of historical fiction, Shadows of Swanford Abbey. Then not far into the second third the story also became a who-done-it, and my enjoyment doubled. Klassen does a wonderful job of character development, of dropping bread crumbs, and of placing red herrings at just the right time.

Set in 1820s England, Mis Rebecca Lane, accompanied by her employer, Lady Fitzhoward, has returned to her hometown to check on her brother. Forced to stay at Swanford Abbey, an old abbey-turned-hotel, Rebecca works to aid her brother in getting his novel presented to a publisher while encountering old friends and meeting new people against a backdrop of suspicious circumstances. Readers will enjoy meeting the cast of characters and attempting to determine who did the foul deed.

I am grateful to have received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House via NetGalley without obligation. All opinions expressed here are my own. 




2 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to reading this one. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry that with the busyness of the New Year, I am just now seeing your comment. I hope that you enjoy(ed) Shadows of Swanford Abbey, and that you have a wonderful time reading through 2022.

      Delete