Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Dead Sea Conspiracy by Jerry B. Jenkins - A Book Review

  

It took me a while to get into this book, probably because I had not read the first book in the series. Although I was aware that I had missed out on some events, I was still able to follow the storyline with ease; it just took a while to connect to the characters. I will say that if you are not willing to purchase the next book in the series, there isn't much use in purchasing this one. While some bits of the story are brought to a conclusion, the main thread is left unresolved. I personally prefer series in which each book works as a stand-alone read.

Dead Sea Conspiracy is a dual timeline novel. The current day story follows archaeologist Dr. Nicole Berman as she begins a dig in Saudi Arabia hoping to find evidence supporting the Hebrew and Christian story of Abraham. This puts her into direct conflict with the Saudi government who does not want the Quran contradicted. Nicole and Detective Chakrabarti, her personal security guard, must try to ferret out spies among her own team. This storyline was interesting, but did not consistently include authentic sounding dialogue. The second storyline revolved mostly around Abraham and his father, much of which was fictionalized. Personally, I do not favor biblical fiction that includes conjecture about the lives of real people of the Bible. I prefer biblical fiction that weaves in true people and events from the Bible, but focuses on purely fictional characters. I am as of yet undecided as to whether I will read the next book in this series.

I am grateful to have received a complimentary copy of Dead Sea Conspiracy from Hatchette Book Group via NetGalley without obligation. All opinions expressed here are my own. 




No comments:

Post a Comment