Tuesday, September 29, 2026

In Our Hands by Bonnie Smith Whitehouse - A Book Review

  

I truly enjoy a variety of creative endeavors. I make time for creating new recipes and gardening. I rarely make time for quilting, sewing, embroidery, rug hooking, etc. Key words in this book's description on NetGalley made me think this book would help me become motivated and inspired to make more time for creating. Key words and phrases that led me to this idea were: empowering guide, creative renewal, hope made doable, and practical guidance. While the description did talk about how social, political, and technological tension can cause stress and how creating can be a tool for resilience and empowerment, what it did not lead me to expect was the author's agenda being as much about imposing her values and beliefs as about promoting the benefits of participating in creative pursuits. Key words that would have helped readers make a better choice in knowing if this book was for them would have been: liberal, new age, progressive, omnism, etc. My best advice about this book is buyer beware.

I am grateful for Running Press' consideration in providing me with an advanced reader's copy of this book via NetGalley. However, if I had paid for it, I would be requesting my money back as it stressed me out and the end result was the opposite of what I had hoped for. I was under no obligation to provide a review, and all opinions expressed here are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment