Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Something Worth Doing by Jane Kirkpatrick - A Book Review

 Something Worth Doing: A Novel of an Early Suffragist  Jane Kirkpatrick

I have been a fan of Jane Kirkpatrick's novels since reading Mystic Sweet Communion. I've read ten or eleven of her books, and have reviewed seven prior to Something Worth Doing. I have always appreciated the depth of Kirkpatrick's character development. She selects strong female characters who have made a difference in our nation's history, often in the Pacific Northwest. I typically close her books feeling nostalgic about the main character, the challenges she has overcome, and the lives she has improved. In Something Worth Doing that character is Abigail Jane (Jenny) Scott Duniway, best known for her work in the suffragist movement. Abigail indeed had many challenges to overcome. She was blessed to be well-loved by her husband, Ben, and to have achieved many of her dreams. This book, however, did not leave me with that nostalgic feel. To me it lacked Kirkpatrick's typical character development, and read more like a report on Abigail Duniway. Even so, I am grateful to have received a copy from Revell via NetGalley and LibraryThing without obligation. All opinions expressed here are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment