Friday, January 1, 2021

The Thief of Blackfriars Lane by Michelle Griep - A Book Review

   


While it took this book a while to grab my interest, once it did I was totally hooked. The story is centered around the exploits of a rookie constable and a street swindler and con-woman who strives to stay just barely on the side of right in her efforts to care for the poor of Blackfriars. Through no desire of their own, they join forces toward a common goal, finding a missing jarvey, a taxi driver of the day in 1885 London. What caught and held my interest was the author's ability to plan out convincing cons, and her knowledge of the types of manipulation to be employed. Throughout the second half of the book, I found myself highlighting points of wisdom relating to finding and pursuing God's purpose for one's life and the positive role failure may play. I was struck by the comment that failure is but an instructor, not an undertaker.

I am very grateful to have received a complimentary copy of The Thief of Blackfriars Lane from Shiloh Run Press, an imprint of Barbour Publishing, via NetGalley, without obligation. All opinions expressed here are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment