Wednesday, February 1, 2023

In Spotlight and Shadow by Rachel Scott McDaniel - A Book Review

  

In preparing to write this review, I had to step back and take an unemotional look at the story, fearing that its having followed on the heels of two exceptional reads might cloud my opinion. Doing my best to be fair-minded, I would say that In Spotlight and Shadow is a fair read. I did enjoy the Vaudeville era timeline much more than the contemporary one. The characters felt more genuine and down-to-earth. The rich country music star in the contemporary storyline was a bit over done. The mystery of the earlier storyline had a Dashiell Hammett feel to it that was enjoyable. To use an analogy, if this book were a movie I had seen on television, I would feel good about the time spent. If it were one I had chosen for a date night at the theater, I would feel a bit disappointed.

I am grateful to have received a complimentary copy of In Spotlight and Shadow from Barbour Publishing via NetGalley without obligation. All opinions expressed here are my own. 





No comments:

Post a Comment